I am slightly embarrassed to write this post today. I am including pictures of my dirty shower and if that’s not being transparent, I don’t know what is! We have hard water, so it doesn’t take long for our shower walls to develop a white film covering them. Cleaning a shower is something that feels like a major chore, so I’m sure I don’t do it as often as I should. However, a few years ago I heard about a great DIY shower cleaner that works great and really isn’t terrible to clean with.
The mixture is simple:
1. Pour 1/2 Cup* Distilled White Vinegar into a measuring cup and heat in the microwave for about 30 seconds.
2. Pour the vinegar into a spray bottle.
3. Add 1/2 cup* of Dawn Ultra Dishwashing Liquid Dish Soap into the spray bottle. My spray bottle has measurement marks on the side of the bottle that I use to help measure, but you can estimate if yours does not.
4. Spray the shower walls, floors and hardware. Allow to soak for at least 10 minutes and up to a day.
5. Using a sponge and some hot water, wipe down the walls and floor. I like to use a sponge with a handle and fill it with water.
6. Rinse. The easiest way I have found to do this step is when I am in the shower. I just bring a big cup into the shower with me and make sure the walls are rinsed well. (No pictures of this step will be given for obvious reasons. You’re welcome.)
*The measurements really don’t matter as long as they are equal parts vinegar and Blue Dawn dish soap. 1/2 cup of each usually gives me plenty for two showers.
Ta Da! A sparkling clean shower!
The easiest way I have found to keep it clean is to have a Microfiber Cleaning Clothh by the shower that I use to wipe down the walls when I am finished. Other ideas are to use a squeegee or a shower spray. I have tried a homemade version of a shower spray, but I didn’t love it. I’ll keep searching for one and share it when I find a good one.
Don’t judge me on how gross my shower can get! I’m hoping that I’m not the only one out there with hard water and difficult to clean shower walls.
A freshly cleaned shower makes me nice and happy!